April 24, 2018

Scrap Gardening & Updates

Spring has finally arrived after Winter decided to get out of the way. Someone on one of the social media channels joked that Winter was like that one angry girlfriend who keeps coming back to have the last word. Too true for us here in Northern Iowa where we had our final snowfall last Thursday or so.
Anyway, I was already looking ahead to getting more plants just to make myself feel better when I ran across a resource explaining how to grow plants from grocery scraps. I could  immediately think of more than one reason why this was something I wanted to try:

  1. It's a way to save money by up-cycling stuff we will have in our kitchens anyway. Now, I truly will be using every last bit of my fruits and vegetables. Carrot and pineapple tops that  I usually toss in the trash; that potato that's so old it's starting to grow something new anyway; and the seeds and pits that I would never eat.
  2. Instead of spending money for more houseplants, I am getting more value out of dollars already spent buying some of my groceries.
  3. Preparing the scraps gives me something easy and gentle to do on the days when I am not feeling quite well enough to be out and about or getting other things done.
  4. While I enjoy watching my purchased plants grow and thrive, with the scrap plants, I am involved from the very beginning. It's another way to get enjoyment from a simple activity.
Now, I wanted to keep things as simple as possible so I haven't tried doing anything with the apple, melon, and citrus seeds yet. Apparently, those require drying or otherwise prepping over a longer period of time. Because I am trying to grow only to have plants and not edible foodstuffs, I went with the easiest items that I've heard about so far:



To be honest, the most confusing part of all this to me is learning about the different types of soil I will need when I get ready to pot the plants. And I don't even know how any of these are going to turn out. I'm new to scrap gardening and these projects are going to be the ones I learn from. For instance, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to scrape that thin covering off the avocado pit or not before setting it with the water. For the carrots, the only ones I had in the fridge really had not "tops". And that yam... Well, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Of course, I will be back to update you all on this project. Fail or no, this will not be the last time I try my hand at this.

If any of you have had success with scrap gardening, do share your advice. Now, about my other earth babies... They all look great.

Peace
--Free

No comments:

Post a Comment