May 11, 2018

Houseplants for Dummies (Like Me)

So happy to be able to say that, except for the grow kit sunflowers, my plants are alive and most of them are even thriving. The Peace Lily is looking a little weary but I moved her to a water environment and she seems to be perking up.

I have a couple of problems as a plant owner. One, my thumb is slightly brown and I'm having to train it into green mode. Two, I have memory retention issues so I am constantly having to re-check resources to do with my plants. I will forget from moment to moment which of my green family likes moisture and which of them wants to dry out in between watering. But I have collected some good resources. I was given a couple of books by a neighbor and, just the other day, I received the one book I've bought:



I love the For Dummies books. I've used them for everything from learning about my computer to refreshing lost math and writing skills. This one on houseplants is amazing. Of the fifteen plants I currently have, there is only one not mentioned in the book: my Cordyline (or Hawaiian Ti) plant.

Here are some good online sources of information for people like me:
  • First, there are the YouTube channels like PlantzNThings - because, although it seems more focused on yard plants, it does touch on info about interesting houseplants - like this one about the delicious Dragon Fruit because it taught me how to germinate seeds from fruits.
  • Garden Tips - This channel has a lot of videos and I am still cruising through them, but always find something interesting. Then, there is my favorite,
  • is Exotic Tropical Houseplants - It's the first YouTube channel I discovered that is as fun as it is informative - and it is really informative. I love that the host is so passionate about his plants and about sharing info with the rest of us greenies.
  • This page explains using artificial lighting for your plants - and I think most of us apartment dwellers rely on fake lighting!
  • World of Succulents is another great site. Here's the thing, for some reason, I cannot keep one of these alive. Maybe I need to spend more time over here at WoS!
  • Gardening Know How is a great site whether your plants are indoor or outdoor types. I found it a while back when looking for info on growing plants in water. I really like the site a lot.
So, those are some place to start. I just got some herbs and now I need to look for info for those... I will share when I find some.

Peace
--Free

No comments:

Post a Comment