March 8, 2018

Artificial Lighting Is Tough

Don't know if it works, but I am giving artificial lighting a try this week. My poor plants were getting used to having some natural sun. Until it snowed again. There is still some sun during the day but putting the plants too close to the window risks exposing them to a little bit of a chill.

This is the inexpensive light I decided to try. Of course, since  I got it off of Amazon, I can always return if I'm not happy. I'm going to give it a weeks' tryout.




Not a great photo, I know, but the part that I like the most is that long cord. Perfect for being able to move and situate the light in various locations around the rooms. Here is a better photo from the product page.

Notice the clamp for attaching this wherever is convenient. Also, the brackets holding the light allows you to swivel and position the light rays. Very nice for around fourteen bucks.

Plants lighting can be, I am finding out, kind of pricey. This one came at a great price and the only drawback is that the range of the light rays is not as wide as I would like. Still, I am glad to have this.

When I was reading reviews for different lights, I ran across a very useful tip for maximizing the lighting. It's a simple hack of placing a mirror so that it reflects the light rays back or towards another area. Genius.

This is what the lighting looked like without the mirror...


.

... And this is what happened when I placed my vanity mirror behind the plants:




That may not look like it made much of a difference, but it if you check the wall behind that black pole you can see that the mirror is working. It sure did give the back side of the plants some of that delicious lighting that they apparently crave. Time will tell, I guess.

I will be so glad for Spring to get here and stay instead of teasing us the way it has been the past few weeks.

If anyone has any other tips for lighting, let me know.

Peace
--Free

No comments:

Post a Comment